Saturday, March 13, 2010

I want to build a light box out of plastic. Where can I get sheets of semi-transparent acrylic?

What I want to build is a cube made out of semi-transparent acrylic sheets with a lightbulb ballast screwed down to the floor of the cube and the electrical cord leading out. This will look really cool because it will be a soft white light cube that can be used even as a side table. I don't know where to get the acrylic sheets or how to attach them to each other. I imagine using epoxy, but if anyone has better ideas please provide them. Thanks!I want to build a light box out of plastic. Where can I get sheets of semi-transparent acrylic?
Home Depot and Lowe's has this they are used for florescent light covers that are recessed in the ceiling. You will also ned the special type of glue for this type of plastic.I want to build a light box out of plastic. Where can I get sheets of semi-transparent acrylic?
home depot would have the parts you need for this. use flouresant light covers, cut four of them into squares, if it is really opaque you can hotglue the edges together. its simple, these were really popular on HGTV type shows like 3 years ago, they made them all the time. simple project, highly effective, i wouldn't be surprised if you could find one at a store like IKEA, already made.

No comments:

Post a Comment