Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How to hang plastic sheeting below my mobile home with wood only available on one side?

I did some repair work under my trailer, and had to slit open my plastic to get to it. Now I have replaced the insulation, but I need to put the plastic back together. The slit is big enought that I need to put another piece of plastic over the hole. I only have wood available on one side. On that side, I can use my hand stapler and staple it into the wood. Then one side has a metal edge. And the other two sides I just need to connect it to the existing plastic. The staples will just fall out if I put them from plastic to plastic. How do I this this correctly?How to hang plastic sheeting below my mobile home with wood only available on one side?
You list 4 'sides'. I assume the 2 sides where you need to connect to plastic are the top and bottom. If that is the case, DON'T attach to the plastic. Your 'patch' should be the full height of the sheeting. You already know how to attach to the side with wood. That only leaves the side with metal. Can you screw through the metal into a new piece of wood, and then attach the plastic to the wood?How to hang plastic sheeting below my mobile home with wood only available on one side?
In the area where the plastic overlaps, dig a hole so you can hold a piece of wood in place while you staple the plastic patch on. Then, fill in the hole. Finally, use duct tape on the edges to create a seal and to prevent the staples from rusting. If you are on concrete and can't dig a hole, build an ';L'; bracket out of wood - a triangle may work even better. Put it in place behind the existing plastic and weight it down with a sandbag so it stays in place while you carefully staple the patch piece into the upright portion. Finish with tape.
The REAL best way to do it.... depends on the type of plastic... but some plastics like acrylic bond using weld-on #3 others use other chemical bonds.... or you can use glues... epoxy glues, silicone glue.... or the cure all method DUCT TAPE
Gorilla brand duct tape. Its strong stuff.


It held the rear window of my convertible in for over 6 months! In the Winter!
by using duck tape.
You might try taping the new plastic sheeting with the red tape used for vapour barrier. It's the only tape I know that will reliably stay stuck to plastic. All the others give up after a while. Use the heavy vapour barrier plastic, and I would tape all the edges of it, stapled or otherwise, with the red tape so as to prevent moisture from getting in. On the metal edge, perhaps a construction adhesive would be best though you may have to support or tape the plastic temporarily until it cures. Do that side last, I think, so most of the plastic is already supported and it won't fall down with adhesive all over it before the other sides are in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment